October 14, 2012
Posted by on
These were made in October of 2008, just before the election of Obama. The list is quite extensive [pdf]. Highlights are below, but before you look, how many of the predictions do you think came true? (There were more than 3 dozen.) Do you think he got any? 1. Well, we still have a week to go, so maybe some more of them will still come true! The one that came true is in bold, and it’s a stretch to call this one as being due to Obama.
- Gay marriage is declared a Constitutional right.
- The Boy Scouts of America is forced to “hire homosexual scoutmasters and allow them to sleep in tents with young boys.” They choose to disband instead of following those orders.
- Gender identity is part of a mandatory curriculum for first graders, including the “goodness of homosexuality” as a potential personal choice.
- Christian schools are shut down because of anti-discrimination laws.
- Christian parents have trouble adopting children because of their “narrow” and “dangerous” views on religion.
- Same-sex couples working in your Christian-owned company must receive equal benefits.
- The Bible can no longer be preached over the airwaves because it is considered hate speech.
- Doctors who refuse to provide “artificial insemination for lesbian couples” will lose their licenses.
- Ditto with counselors who refuse to counsel same-sex couples, including those professionals who work in churches.
- Churches must allow gay weddings on their property or risk losing their tax-exempt status.
- Churches must not discriminate against gay people when they hire staff (with the exception of Senior Pastor).
- Gays are allowed in the military. [The decision came from the Pentagon and not Obama as Dobson suggested it would.]
- High school students are not allowed to worship at the Pole or gather for Bible studies.
- College Christian groups are no longer allowed on university property.
- “Under God” is removed from the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Christian doctors and nurses are forced to participate in or perform abortion procedures.
- Sexual acts are allowed to be seen on TV all hours of the day. Porn magazines are visibly displayed on newsstands everywhere.
- Your right to own a gun is taken away.
- If you home-school your children, you must teach from a state-approved (non-Christian) curriculum. As a result, many Christian parents move to Australia and New Zealand.
- Our troops are withdrawn from Iraq (after which, terrorists take over the unprotected country).
- Illegal wiretapping is put to an end. Terrorist bombs go off in several American cities.
- We now have universal health care.
- We go into a prolonged recession.
- The budget deficit skyrockets despite taxes on the wealthy.
- Christian publishers are no longer allowed to distribute books in major bookstores.
- Criminal and civil charges are filed against “nearly every Bush administration official who had any involvement with the Iraq war.”
This is the sort of scare-mongering that is being peddled to win elections. And, as Bill Maher puts it, there are no longer repercussions for lying.
[Summary compiled by patheos.com]
October 2, 2012
Posted by on
For the Nth time I went to buy a book and found the Kindle price higher than the dead tree price ($12.99 vs $10.88). I will not buy another Penguin book until this is fixed (except used, which I’m about to do right now). It doesn’t take a rocket scientist, or even a brain surgeon, to figure out their cost is lower for a Kindle book compared to something they need to make and ship (twice!). I wrote Penguin a letter last year and got a stupid reply. Yaba yaba yaba … insert marketing speak … yaba yaba yaba. The reply completely ignored every point in my letter. I understand, you can’t personalize each reply, but I’d rather have no reply than an off-topic one.
Instead of having sane and rational pricing policy that would encourage me to buy more books, they have a stupid one that discourages me from giving money to the publishing company or the author.